1st day of Summer Break and Tamales

School is out for summer!!!  We spent the 1st day going to swim practice and then getting milk shakes. It's not that hot yet so I am enjoying the cool summer breeze before it gets crazy hot and we don't want to do anything.  Addison has a busy schedule this summer but we are still going to enjoy some time together. Before I was in school but I only had a couple of classes so I was still able to spend time with him during the summer.  When I get a full time job I am going to miss our summers together.  I will have to remember that he is getting older and in 2 years he is not going to want to spend his summers with me.  He will be driving around with his friends and hanging out with them.  Well, I will take what I can get and this summer will be incredible.

I promised I would talk about everything you guys missed since I didn't post for a month.  Let's talk about the Tamale Party first.

The Chosen One promised to teach me how to make homemade tamales.  She learned from a friend and it was his Mexican grandmother's recipe.  The Chosen One promised to fly to Atlanta for Cinco de Mayo and we would make tamales together.  Well, that didn't happen but she did make it up to me.  Since she couldn't make it to Atlanta, she set up a video chat class.  She sent me a list of ingredients, that I got the day before.  Then we woke up around 9 AM and started making tamales together via FaceTime.  It was a lot of fun, until her phone fell in water and my phone fell in lard.  But our phones our ok and that tamales were delicious.

I did have a major problem with having my dough float.  The Chosen One whipped her stock, masa, and lard together with such ease.  She dropped some dough in a glass of water and voilà it floats.  My dough story was not that great.  I whipped and whipped until my mixer started heating up and moving across the counter top.  Dough was flying everywhere (I still probably have it in my kitchen after cleaning it many of times).  I dropped my dough in a glass of water and sink.  Whipped again....dropped in water....sink.  Whipped again...dropped in water...sink.  I was starting to get frustrated so we decided to add more lard. Then whipped again...dropped in water...sink. I then added more stock, whipped again...dropped in water...sink.  Finally I found the right proportion of lard and stock, whipped again....dropped in water...float!!!   I was so happy.  The Chosen One not so much because I think it took me 30 minutes just to get my dough the float and she was waiting one me for the next step.  Luckily, after the dough floats you can start making your tamales.  So JT and Addison helped me wrap about 60 tamales in corn husks and then they were ready to steam.

The Chosen One warned me I was going to have a lot of tamales so I decided to invite people over to have a Cinco de Mayo party.  Everyone came over around 6 PM and brought side dishes and beer.  The tamales were ready on time and turned out good for my first try.  Next time I would like to braise the pork before putting them in the tamales and master the dough.  Everyone enjoyed the meal and we had great conversation.  I also made a Trés Léché cake and an Espresso and Carmel flan.

I really enjoy cooking and having everyone over.  I also realized in my perfect world I would love to throw or attend a dinner party every weekend.  I need a bigger house and a bigger kitchen.  :)

Here are some picture of the wonderful food:

Doesn't everything look delicious?  Addison made the corn and bean salsa with Melissa's help.  Melissa made the Spanish Rice and the Guacamole.   And the power of electronics The Chosen One taught me how to make homemade tamales.  Don't you love how electronics can help our lives?

Next, I will post about the Great Gatsby dinner party we had.  Hey, better late than never.

Talk to you soon,
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed